Saturday, January 29, 2005

12 Jan 2005

Wow, its 2005. And the last time I wrote anything on this blog was 2004 - a month ago. Okay, so first it was end of term papers, then exams, then more exams (which I probably messed up) and then a nice little break to Berlin with good old Jeremy. We stayed at Marie's place and saw lots of stuff. Took an overnight train. Then we took a walking tour and went around the Reichstag, Berlin Wall, Charlie's checkpoint (Charlie was some American guy guarding that checkpoint where the wall was), the Pergamon museum (with the Ishtar gate), Friedrichstraase, took the U Bahn and the S Bahn, Berlindom, saw the Russian Embassy in Berlin, Saw the hotel where Michael Jackson hung his baby out, walked over Hitlers bunker etc... so that narration was for myself so I remember what we did.

Then back in Fontainebleau for a couple of days and Bhamini and friends came over. It was off to Spain.

Seville - Giralda, Alcazar and the quaint walks around the city. Took a little tour around the Alcazar
Granada - Alhambra (ahem), Albaycin, the Moroccan looking souk places, Flamenco dance, Hotel Austria, and lots of mudejar architecture. Also, Mirador San Nicolas -- great view of the Alhambra and the Sierra Nevada. Really cheap city! Had a nice Doner Kebab there.
Madrid - Stayed right in Placa Santa Ana. Prime location! Walked over the Placa del Sol for the New Years - crazy Spaniards are up all night. Dinner only starts at around 10pm. Went to the Museo del Prado, walked around Jardin Buen Retiro and went the Post Salamanca area.
Toledo - Walked around the old city (old capital) of Spain. It was quite dead though, since it was Jan 1st. But we all had an excellent walk along the river on the side of a hill. Also bumped into INSEAD friend Michelle. Strange -- out of all places!
Barcelona - Probably the highlight. Such an arty city. Picasso Museum, Olympic area, Park Guell, Gaudi house, Montjuic (Olympic mountain), La Rambla, Port Vell. We stayed at Rita's place who's attending IESE in Barcelona.

By the time I got back, I was in the "Si", "lo siento" mode, rather than the "oui", "pardon". Now I'm slowly switching back with the start of my first French class today.

Been such a busy week already. Have had some new interesting classes. Course material is probably more interesting than P1, P2, but a lot more work. Also its Welcome Week. Can't wait for next week when things should be more routine and calm down. (Or so I hope - truth is, the madness never ends!)

No comments: